5th Column: All-Time Top 5
Ryan Winn, Guest Contributor
October 21, 2011
Filed under Uncategorized
So back in my day at CUA (I can say that because I have graduated now) the 5th column was always big on publishing lists. I always thought it was because the staff of the Tower was just hoping to avoid too many typos and felt that list format was more conducive to this goal (just kidding I love you guys). So in that proud tradition I thought I would entertain you with the list of five things that helped to define my experience at CUA and am probably no longer allowed to do as a respectable person.
- That Late Night Pryz Run on Friday and Saturday – You know you go to CUA if the after party is not in the hotel lobby, but in the upstairs Student Restaurant of the Pryz. In addition to the highest quality cuisine, the upstairs Pryz boasts the additional late night entertainment of people watching and the aftermath of the annual tranny party.
- COLLEGE CLASSES- Ok ladies and gentlemen, this one might come as a bit of surprise (or maybe not since it is a well-known fact that I am a huge nerd) but I miss going to class. I love my job with Teach for America but I do miss those intense discussions in philosophy class (ok not all the time).
- St. Patrick’s Day – Come on you know you love it too. A full day (and night) of celebrating all that is “Irish” in nature and then bumping into every one of your professors as you walk home the next day.
- Living in One of The Most Exciting Cities In The World – No explanation needed on this one.
- Student Organization Infighting – Some of the best memories I have of CUA are my times campaigning with the College Republicans, working on SAGA projects, and of course my award-winning (albeit slightly edgy) tenure on WCUA. However, I can’t overlook the ridiculous fighting and battles that ensued from my involvement in these groups. Big secret: you will look back on those fights fondly. They tell you more about people than you’d think.
Last piece of sage advice before you throw this copy of the Tower away (and by throw away I of course mean recycle): do something you love and do something that matters. The job I have now in Memphis with TFA is the hardest thing I have ever done. But without question it’s also the most rewarding. Oh, and have a ridiculously good time during homecoming. See you all in Club Swerve tonight.